For the second straight month, the Calgary real estate market is seeing an increase in sales by 11.36%, a decrease in active listings(11.72%) and new listings (21.71) as compared to May 2018. Prices are still down 3.51% from this time last year but the correlation between a double-digit increase in sales and double-digit decrease in active and new listings is a sign the market is trending for a turnaround. If you are thinking of buying contact a Calgary Real Estate agent to plan your next move.
According to the Calgary Real Estate boards recent update: Improving sales relative to inventory levels caused the months of supply to ease to just under four months. While still oversupplied, this is an improvement from the five months of supply recorded last May.
Citywide sales in May totalled 1,921 units, 11 per cent higher than last year’s levels. However, sales remain 10 per cent below longer-term trends. This sales growth was primarily driven by homes priced under $500,000.
“While sales activity remains low based on historical activity for May, the easing prices have brought some people back to the market, while also preventing some others from listing their homes,” said CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie.
“This has started to push the market towards more balanced conditions. If this trend continues, it could limit some of the downward pressure on prices.”
Calgary Realtor Housing Market Facts
- Detached sales in May totalled 1,182 units. This is a 12 per cent increase over last year, but still 13 per cent below long-term averages. The improvement in sales was driven primarily by gains in homes priced under $500,000.
- Sales activity increased across most districts in May. However, year-to-date sales have only increased in the East, South and North East districts of the city. Citywide sales remain one per cent lower than last year’s levels.
- New listings in May pulled back significantly from previous year’s levels. Combined with an improvement in sales, this resulted in inventories declining from 4,504 units last May to 3,921 units this month. This is the first time since May 2017 that year-over-year inventories declined.
- Easing inventory and improving sales caused months of supply to ease to 3.3 months. This is still elevated compared to historical levels, but represents an improvement compared to levels from the past year.
- Prices have remained relatively stable over the past few months, with some modest monthly improvements. However, the oversupply scenario has left prices four per cent lower than last year and seven per cent lower than 2014 highs.
Top Calgary Realtor Apartment Facts
- The improvement in monthly sales was not enough to offset previous declines. Year-to-date apartment sales sit at 1,030 units. This is seven per cent lower than last year and 28 per cent lower than longer-term averages. Easing sales were met with fewer new listings, reducing the market inventory. This pushed months of supply to just over five months.
- If the reduction in oversupply continues, it will eventually help limit price declines. However, this market remains oversupplied and prices continue to edge down.
- May benchmark prices totalled $246,900, 0.6 percent lower than last month and nearly three per cent lower than last year’s levels. This is resulting in a total price adjustment of over 17 per cent since 2014.
Calgary Realtor Attached Sales
- Attached sales activity continue to improve in May. Year-to-date sales improved by two per cent, making this the only sector to record a year-to-date improvement. Improvements occurred throughout most districts of the city, apart from the City Centre, North West and West districts.
- New listings have also pulled back relative to sales. This is causing inventories to ease compared to last year and months of supply to trend down.
- Benchmark prices remain five per cent lower than last year’s levels but have seen some modest gains on a month-to-month basis. Despite some signs of improvement, prices remain 10 per cent lower than 2014 highs.
If you are looking for a Calgary Realtor that is born and raised in the city and has over a decade of experience contact Jesse Davies and his team to help with your next Real Estate transaction. Jesse & his team were the recipients of the top rated real estate agent in the city of Calgary for 2018 from www.ratemyagent.com